The New York Connection

Tuesday, May 17, 2005


Listening is cheap

From The Jaker:

The NY Daily News reports that Mayor Bloomberg has already spent $10m on his re-election campaign, "including $267 on tropical fish, $210 for Mets tickets and $255 on a nifty clock that counts down to Election Day".

As I said before, I think there's something wrong with a candidate spending so much of his own money to get elected ($73m in 2001, a record outside of Presidential elections). It has the feel of subverting the will of the people for personal gain, believing that you know better than the people. And I think Bloomberg is clearly in that territory (hence I support Gifford Miller for Mayor).


I would add one other point. When you spend this type of money you're doing it to broadcast, not listen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home